FAFSA application
25 Oct 2013

Financial Aid

Investing in your education is investing in your future. We understand the stress associated with paying for college and for that reason our Financial Aid Team does their best to make our students aware of all the financing options available for qualified students. Our goal is to assist you through the financing phase to allow you to concentrate on what really matters: getting the most out of your Spartan education and moving forward with the career of your dreams!

Spartan’s Financial Aid Team will guide you step-by-step in exploring funding options and offers financial resources to assist students with meeting their educational costs to attend Spartan. There are many ways to fund an education and financial aid comes in many forms. Most likely, your financial aid package will come from a variety of funding sources. The types and amounts of financial aid awarded are determined by several factors such as financial need, availability of funds and academic performance.

Financial aid is considered any resource that can help pay for college. Students must apply for financial aid using the FREE Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Certain aid is awarded first come first served while funds remain.

Eligibility for Financial Aid

To be eligible to apply for financial aid, you must:

  • Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible program of study on at least a half-time basis (with the exception of Pell and FSEOG)
  • Have a high school diploma or the equivalent
  • Be a citizen or eligible non-citizen, a national or permanent resident of the U.S. or if you maintain a form I-151, I-551, or I-94 indicate your status. Verification of eligible non-citizen status may be required. For more information on this topic: click here 
  • Demonstrate financial need based on the information entered on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). (Basic Equation of Need is the difference between the Cost of Attendance and the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the FAFSA application.)
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined in our Catalog
  • Have a valid Social Security number
  • Not have borrowed in excess of the annual aggregate loan limits for the Title IV financial aid programs
  • Comply with the U.S. Selective Service registration requirements (Males only).
  • Not be in default on any previous student loan(s). This also applies to parents if parents are applying for a Federal Parent Loan (PLUS).
  • Not owe a refund or repayment on any federal grant previously awarded.
  • Provide any additional required documentation for completion of the funding process
  • Confirm eligibility if you have been convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs
  • Document any Unusual Enrollment History

Federal Grants

  • Federal Pell Grant– need based award available to eligible undergraduate students who have not previously earned a bachelor’s or professional degree.
  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) – need based award available to eligible students who have filed their FAFSA. FSEOG funds are limited so complete your FAFSA immediately upon income tax completion.

Cal Grant Program

(LAX and Inland Empire Campuses Only)

Cal Grant B and C are State Grant programs administered by the State of California and are available to eligible California residents who have applied before the relevant deadline. The Cal Grant funds are awarded based on enrollment status during the award year. Student eligibility which must be approved by the California Student Aid Commission Grants are based on funds available from the State and do not have to be repaid. All Cal Grant payments are credited to the student’s account to cover outstanding tuition fees, and supplies. However, a student may request direct payment of his or her Cal Grant B access funds up to the date the fund transaction actually occurs.

Student Loans

Loans are funds that are borrowed and must be repaid. There are several different types of loans for students, including federal, institutional, and private loans. The student may choose to accept, reduce, or decline any student loan awarded.

Federal loans require the student to complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) before the loan can be disbursed. Exit Counseling is also required when the student drops below half time or graduates.

Federal student loans are usually offered to students who qualify at a lower interest rate and can be a great way to establish credit history. Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Federal Perkins Loan and the Federal Direct PLUS Loan are all examples of government student loans. Students and families can also apply for Private Sallie Mae education loans available for those who qualify if enrolling in a program at the Tulsa Campus.

Any dream worth pursuing takes planning, commitment and sacrifice. Having a financial plan is the best first step in realizing your goal of a career in the aviation industry. An investment in your education is the best investment you can make in yourself. If you’re considering Spartan College, take the first step and contact Spartan today.

Financial Aid Steps

The following steps will serve as a guide to completing the process required to process your student aid in the most efficient manner – Click here.


A U.S. permanent resident who has a Permanent Resident Card (I-551 or I-151); a conditional permanent resident (I-551C); or a noncitizen who has an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services with one of the following designations: Refugee (including noncitizen victims of human trafficking), Asylum Granted, Parolee (the I-94 confirms paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired), T-Visa holder or Cuban-Haitian Entrant.

The Department of Education performs matches against the application to verify the student’s citizenship status. In addition, there are procedures that you must follow to confirm a noncitizen’s status through the DHS and SSA if the CPS matches don’t confirm that status. A student’s citizenship status only needs to be checked once during the award year; if the status is eligible at that time, it remains so for the rest of the award year.

A student must be a citizen or eligible noncitizen to receive aid from the FSA programs. The general requirement for eligible noncitizens is that they be in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a citizen or lawful permanent resident, as evidenced by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The USCIS was briefly known as the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services or BCIS, and before that it was the Immigration and Naturalization Service or INS.

When applying for federal or state financial aid, you must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or an eligible non-citizen. You are considered an eligible non-citizen if you meet ONE of the following criteria:

  • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain’s Island)
  • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Permanent Resident Card)

If you’re not in one of these categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following designations:

  • “Refugee”
  • “Asylum Granted”
  • “Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending”
  • “Conditional Entrant” (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
  • “Victims of human trafficking, T-visa” (T-2, T-3, or T-4, etc.) holder
  • “Parolee” (You must be paroled into the United States for at least one year and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and that you intend to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.)

The following documents are not considered in determining your eligibility for federal student aid:

If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you aren’t eligible for federal student aid.

  • If you’re in the United States on certain visas, including an F1 or F2 student visa, or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you’re not eligible for federal student aid.
  • Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible.

Students who are citizens of the Freely Associated States-the Federated States of Micronesia and the republics of Palau and the Marshall Islands-are eligible for Pell Grants. Citizens of Palau are also eligible for Federal Work Study (FWS) and Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (FSEOG).

Unusual Enrollment History

Some Free Applications for Federal Student Aid (FAFSAs) will be flagged for unusual enrollment history by the U. S. Department of Education as a result of the student having received Federal Pell Grants at multiple institutions in recent years.

Some students will have an item on their To Do List called “Unusual Enrollment History.” Spartan must review the student’s enrollment history and determine whether or not the student is enrolling only long enough to receive cash refunds of federal student aid. Spartan is required to review the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) to verify the names of all schools attended. This information will be compared to the post-secondary academic transcripts submitted to Spartan. If all academic transcripts have not been submitted, eligibility for financial aid cannot be determined.

How to resolve

Students with this requirement should ensure that all post-secondary academic transcripts have been submitted to Spartan. If Federal Pell Grants were received and credit hours (passing grades: A – D) were not earned at each institution attended during these award years, the student may be determined ineligible for further federal financial aid.

Appealing the ineligibility determination

Students who have been notified that they are ineligible for aid because they have failed to earn academic credit at an institution during the period of enrollment under review may submit an Unusual Enrollment Petition to document unusual circumstances that resulted in the failure to gain academic credit.

Regaining federal student aid eligibility

Students whose aid eligibility is denied as a result of their Unusual Enrollment History can be re-considered for federal student aid after the completion of the unusual enrollment academic requirements:

  • Enrolling for three consecutive academic terms of enrollment only in courses that are required by their program, AND
  • Maintaining GPA of at least 2.5 for each of these academic terms, AND
  • Not withdrawing (officially or unofficially) from any courses after the term begins, AND
  • Meet all other eligibility requirements for federal aid

Federal Direct Stafford Loans

A need based fixed interest Federal loan available to undergraduate students. Students must complete a FAFSA in order to become eligible for this loan. The federal government subsidizes the interest while students are in school. This means students are not charged interest on the loan until after they graduate, leave school, or fall below half-time student status. The student is responsible for repayment and the length of repayment is typically 10 years.

Federal Perkins Loan

A fixed interest Federal need based loan that is available to both undergraduate and graduate students. Students must complete a FAFSA in order to determine eligibility. Interest does not accrue until the loan enters repayment. Repayment begins 9 months after the student graduates, leaves school, or falls below half-time enrollment status. The school is the lender, and the loan is disbursed using government funds. The loan must be paid back directly to the school.

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

A fixed interest Federal loan available to parents and legal guardians of dependent students. Students must have a FAFSA on file before parents/guardians can apply. Eligibility is determined by credit worthiness and the parent is responsible for repayment. Interest is charged from the time the loan is disbursed until it has been repaid. Repayment begins 60 days after the loan is disbursed OR the parent may defer repayment while the student is enrolled more than half-time or until 6 months after graduation

Federal student financial aid penalties for drug law violations

A conviction for any offense involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs, during a period of enrollment for which you receive Title IV federal student aid, may result in the loss of future financial aid eligibility. If you are convicted of possessing or selling drugs after you submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you must notify your Financial Aid Administrator immediately.

If a student successfully completes a drug rehabilitation program, the student may regain federal student aid eligibility on the date the program is successfully completed.

Institutional code of conduct for education loans

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)