31 Oct 2019

Ratings for Commercial Airline Pilot Training

Aviation Flight pilot training at Spartan College of Aeronautics and Technology provides students with comprehensive training toward various ratings and certifications that pilots need. These certificates are beyond an initial pilot license and allow them to fly certain kinds of aircraft under conditions that may be more specific or complex than what they previously learned. Requirements for pilot ratings are determined by the Federal Aviation Administration.

A rating is a type of certification that pilots acquire beyond their initial certification. Type ratings allow pilots to fly certain types of planes, or under certain conditions, that may be more specific or complex than what they learned in their initial training.

Type Ratings

  • Private Pilot Certificate. Pilots usually start with a private pilot certificate, also commonly known as a pilot license, that allows them to carry passengers. These are normally single-engine two to four-seat aircraft.
  • Instrument Rating. Once you have your private pilot certificate, you can add an instrument rating. This is necessary for pilots to have in order to fly through weather conditions that require navigation with instruments.
  • Commercial Pilot Certificate. Also known as a commercial pilot license, once certified pilots can receive payment for their services. Examples of those services are flight instructing, banner towing, single-pilot small cargo flights, and aerial photography. The FAA requires a certain minimum of flying hours, depending on your training facility, to qualify for this exam.
  • Airplane Multi-Engine. With a general pilot certificate, you can fly a single-engine plane. A multi-engine certification allows you to fly more powerful aircraft. Most pilots-in-training obtain their single-engine private pilot certification/license first.
  • Certified Flight Instructor Certification. A CFI certificate enables a pilot to train student pilots at flight schools. To qualify you must already have earned your commercial pilot license.
  • Certified Flight Instructor Instrument. This is similar to the previously-described certificate, with an add-on for training others to use instruments to navigate through weather conditions.
  • Airline Transport Pilot Certificate. Though not available at Spartan College, the ATP license is what you need to be a captain for a commercial jet. Having your commercial pilot license is a prerequisite for the ATP license. Depending on where your flight training is done, the FAA requires between 1000-1500 flying hours to qualify to take this exam.

Remote Pilot Certification

The FAA offers different types of remote pilot certification for drone operation.

  • Recreational Drone Flyer. This certification demonstrates that pilots are familiar with safety protocols and operational procedures for recreational flights with unmanned aircraft.
  • Certified Commercial Operator. This certificate allows pilots to use remotely-operated aircraft for commercial purposes.
  • Public Safety and Government Users. With this credential, government entities (such as law enforcement) can operate drones for public safety purposes while detecting and deterring unauthorized drone use.
  • Educational Users. This designation allows pilots to use drones for instructional purposes, such as teaching STEM classes.

The FAA also mandates that pilots and co-pilots have pilot-in-command (PIC) and second-in-command (SIC) certifications, respectively.

Choosing Aviation Flight commercial pilot training at Spartan College is the first step toward preparing to soar. Click here to learn more about Spartan College’s flight training courses or apply now to get started.